D. L. Engle • bronze sculptor • animal specialist • Valinda CA USA
D. L Engle working on the clay for the Pride and Power bronze.
The model is multi-Champion Shire stallion Red Brae Marshall "Cruiser"
born 1957 Pasadena CA Debbie Engle engaged the study of figurative art early in life and through sculpture continues to refine the technique of communicating emotion using a three dimensional visual language. Though trained in advanced ceramic science studies at the University of Puget Sound in Washington State, bronze is now her more frequently used medium. The finished works are found as both limited editions and unique commissions and sizes have ranged from tiny miniatures to over six feet.
Advancements and refinements in technique and artistic effect remain the lifelong pursuit of this full time sculptor. As is the passionate and in depth research of selected subjects that takes her around the world in search of exceptional models and muses.
Her work is characterized by its expressive emotional quality, powerful presence and a facile sureness of a variety of animal and human forms and characteristics. Animal forms are those most often modeled for it is in their physical gestures that emotional states are communicated with a natural purity and intensity.
“In my works I interpret the instinctual and universal forms of communication that transcend boundaries of species, time and distance. I like to think these works will long continue to engage viewers and impart to them a sense of wonder. For in that wonder grows awareness and recognition of an essential shared essence.”
D. L. Engle, April 2012
● San Marino League, CA
● National Sculpture Society, NY
● The California Art Club Gold Medal, CA
● The Pasadena Society of Artist, CA
● Hillcrest Festival of Fine Art, CA
● The AKC Museum of the Dog, MO
● Wildlings Art Museum, CA
● Art Show at the Dog Show, KS
● Chaffy Community Museum of Art , CA
● International Exhibition on Animals in Art, LA
Public and private commissions include:
● Hollywood Park Race Track Walk of Fame Plaques CA
● Pedigree Hall of Fame the AKC Museum of the Dog, MO
● Proud Meadows LLC “The Rain Horse” TX
● Represented in private collections around the world
Selected Memberships, Awards and Juried Exhibits:
● California Art Club Gold Medal juried exhibits – 3/11 Pasadena Art Museum & 3/12 The Autry CA
● Associated Artist of the Inland Empire juried exhibit –9/11 Victoria Gardens CA - Best of Show
● California Art Club juried exhibit – 2/09 & 6/09 The Old Mill, San Marino CA
● Pasadena Society of Artist – 11/08 Altadena CA - Award of Merit
● Chaffy Community Museum of Art - 3/08 Rancho Cucamonga CA - First in Sculpture
● International Exhibition on Animals in Art – 2/08 Baton Rouge LA - Honorable Mention
● Hillcrest Festival of Fine Art - 2/08 La Habra Heights CA - Third in Sculpture
● Wildling Art Museum - 2/08 Los Olivos CA -$5000 cash award and the purchase of the awarded work
“Puma Ways” for the Museum’s permanent collection
● Art Show at the Dog Show – 3/06 Wichita KS - Second in Sculpture and Special Award
● Hillcrest Festival of Fine Art - 2/05 La Habra Heights CA - Honorable Mention
● The American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog – 3/05, 12/04 and 2/01 St. Louis MO - Sculptures
exhibited at Invitational Art Exhibits.
● OutdoorPainter.com June 12th 2012
● Unsere Windhunde, January 2012 feature article
● NOFCA News, Autumn 2010 feature article
● Chaffy Community Art Association Museum Newsletter. July 2010, feature article
● Sirius: the publication of the AKC Museum of the Dog, Spring 1990 feature article
● Sirius: the publication of the AKC Museum of the Dog, Spring 2005 featured in the Irish Wolfhound article and
the exhibit: The Irish Wolfhound in Art
All images, items, text, designs, contained in this web site are protected by copyright and trade mark law.